Saturday, February 4, 2012

Crown Fountain


http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-o/1007369619/

I decided to do my presentation on the Crown Fountain in Millennium Park of Chicago. The fountain was created by Jaume Plensa and opened in July of 2004. The Crown fountain is actually two 50ft towers with LED displays that show the face of a Chicago citizen, with the face changing every five minutes. From May to October, water comes out of the mouth of each tower. In the summer, many people go to the Crown Fountain to cool off. The fountain’s large LED displays and sprouting water makes it a big part of Chicago pop culture.

1. Would you want your face on a public display of art? Why or why not?
2. Have you ever seen the Crown Fountain or another piece of public art?
3. If you could create your own public art, what would it be?

10 comments:

  1. No I would not want my face in a LED display. I think that it would be wierd to see yourself on a display-and shouting out water. Even though it would be funny, I dont think that I would want people to reconize me. Even though you cant really see who the person really is, it would be strange. I don't think I would want to see myself because what if I was there and then someone said "is that you?"...strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, i wouldn't want my face on a public display of art because you never know if someone is out there to get you. I have see the big eye ball downtown. I would create a sign that says mk and have if made with foil wrap. -Makyia

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I would not like to have my face on a public display of art because it would be weird to know that people would be looking at my face everytime they saw the artwork. If I were to create a piece of art I mould make a bright orange music note to represent my love for music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If i could create a public art it would be a giant piece of mail exploding on a ship.I would create this to show how many people are being overwhelmed by bills and the economy. They want to all pile up in their house and are about to explode and cuase horrible problems and sink you down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way the water come out. John

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the picture on the building. Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the buildings in the picture

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that Malik did a very good job on presenting his project. I would want my face of an LED display for everyone to see because it would display my beauty and I think it would be a funny thing to see. Yes I have seen the crown fountain many times before. I have also seen "The Bean" in Millennium Park as well. If I could create my own public artwork it would be a gigantic sculpture of a Hershey's bar because I love chocolate and I know other chocolate lovers would like it as well.
    -Breauna Carr

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I could create a piece of public art it would be a statue of Kobe Bryant. I would chose to create this because I think Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA and he is very hated on. This artwork would be placed right in front of the Staples Center just like the Michael Jordan statue is in front of the United Center.

    -R.Jones

    ReplyDelete