Monday, February 6, 2012

Public Art by Dennis Oppenheim

Since the late 1960s, Dennis Oppenheim has been creating artwork at it's best. He bases his artwork off of imperfections, danger, and discomfort. Uncomfortably created, his work leaves artist with a sense of humor and terror. While researching his works, I found his sculptures to be the most interesting. In my opinion, I believe I enjoyed the sculptures because just as I am, they are extraordinary. Even more compelling, they are unusual and fascinating to see.





The image shown above is called the "Bus Home." According to the artist, "The work depicts the metamorphosis of a bus becoming a house." This sculpture is located at Pacific View Mall in Buenaventure, California.






My favorite of all, "Device To Root Out Evil." This sculpture was created in 1997. Shown in this image, a church is resting on its steeple. The church represents the device rooting out evil forces. This sculpture is located in Denver, Colorado.




What are some sculptures that you have seen that interested you?

If you could create a sculpture to place publicly, what would you create?

Would you place it in a specific area? If so, why?







Interested in more sculptures? Visit ----> http://www.dennis-oppenheim.com/

10 comments:

  1. 1. I like the picture because of the way things are shaped and curved.
    2. I like the many windows that are going down to the ground.
    3. I would place this picture in my room but use different colors. I would use yellow, red, blue and white. i would paint the house yellow too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sculptures that interested me most would be majority of the sculptures downtown because of the way they are constructed makes them look so surreal while looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the different colors. Adeline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the picture because of how the house is shaped.I also like how you can sit under the portrait. I would have this picture in my room.
    -David

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the picture because it look fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this picture because of how it is shaped like a half circle. I also like the colors they used because red is my favorite color!
    -Rameir

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this picture because of the shape of the buildings. Yaritza

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this piece of artwork its really creative.If I could make a sculpture to place publicly I would make a mirror shaped into a peace sign.Yes I would place this art in a specific area.The reason I would do that because I want it to be in a place where people should make peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I could creat a sculpture it would represent an important person or thing in my life. I would put it in a large city in an area that many tourist like to visit. This way, many people from all around the world would come and see my sculpture. My sculpture would be a famous tourist attraction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I could create any sculpture I would create a sculpture of my most prized possession which is a bracelet that my grandmother gave me for Christmas. I would place this sculpture in the middle of a large park so everyone can view it.

    ReplyDelete